"God knows our situation; He will not judge us as if we had no difficulties to overcome. What matters is the sincerity and perseverance of our will to overcome them." ~C. S. Lewis
I had a visit with a good friend this week. She blessed me not only with her company and encouragement, but also with some much needed household staples I had run out of. I am forever grateful to those people in my life who never let the rain that is falling in their own lives deter them from being used by God. I have to remind myself that no one has it easy and if they do, it probably won't last for long. Here's what I've been thinking since that visit...
I had a visit with a good friend this week. She blessed me not only with her company and encouragement, but also with some much needed household staples I had run out of. I am forever grateful to those people in my life who never let the rain that is falling in their own lives deter them from being used by God. I have to remind myself that no one has it easy and if they do, it probably won't last for long. Here's what I've been thinking since that visit...
There once was a girl who was almost aborted. Her adoptive mother was not a mother. Her growing up was less then ideal and she tried to fix her disfunction with all kinds of remedies. She became a wife, a mother and a grandmother. She tried to fix many and show them the love she never had. She held onto them with all her might, but eventually they walked away like everyone else she tried to love. Fairness is a stranger to her and she is all too familiar with hopelessness.
Throughout the trials, her faith becomes more beautiful and her resolve becomes stronger with every blow. Even though she may not know it, she is an overcomer.
There once was a girl who never had a brother or a sister. She was surrounded by people who adored her, but hated themselves. She went through life trying to please everyone and never let her sadness show. She watched her family dissolve more than once and she found refuge in a boy who she thought could love her as much as she loved him. She also became a wife, a mother and a grandmother. She still thinks her sadness doesn't show, but you can see it in her eyes when she reflects back.
Although pain has followed her into every corner of her life, she never gives up her smile. She would never admit it, but she is an overcomer.
There once was a boy who's father was a holy man. He grew up feeling pressure and inadequate. He knew he was destined for more, but never gave himself enough credit. He became his own worst enemy. He ran from all that he had been taught and searched for the hard way. He now wishes he could take it back. He will become a husband, a father and a grandfather.
These days, he stands and tells others to stop and go the other way. He see things in a whole new light. He is an overcomer.
Everyone of the above people I mentioned have names. They are extremely important people in my life and never cease to display the heart of an overcomer. But, just like them, I have my own story filled with circumstances I couldn't control, the effects they had on me and the stumbling blocks I encountered as a result. I know the easiest response is to judge and abandon instead of love and forgive. Trust me, I've had to make the choice on more then one occasion. But, I had to become determined to overcome the bad with good and not let the bad overcome me.
All of us carry more than anyone will ever see. I will forever be amazed at those who can overcome without looking back, but will never criticize those who trip over their past more often then they would like. Truth is, I come from a long line of people in both categories. I have very dear friends from both categories. I have chosen to love all no matter the category and pray they do the same for me.
All of us carry more than anyone will ever see. I will forever be amazed at those who can overcome without looking back, but will never criticize those who trip over their past more often then they would like. Truth is, I come from a long line of people in both categories. I have very dear friends from both categories. I have chosen to love all no matter the category and pray they do the same for me.
Thank you, dear friend, for loving me no matter my many flaws and for not shying away from sharing yours with me.
I can't wait til our next visit :)
Romans 12:21
No comments:
Post a Comment