Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Queen Esther and Me

"Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart."
~Kahlil Gibran

I made a Target run the other day with my girls. Desi was decked out in every piece of play jewelry she could find and was pushing her doll in a miniature stroller alongside my shopping cart. On the way out, she wanted to lead the way, but kept turning around to make sure I was still behind her. This scene reminded me of the 6th friend on my Limp Along List, Danae.

Danae, or DNA as she is known around our house, is 8 years younger than me. We met when she was 12, but we didn't become close until she was in high school. By that time, J and I were youth pastors and she was the most faithful youth we had. :) Like my friend, Feth, Danae came to church by herself, sometimes with her younger sisters, sometimes with her older brother. 
Whenever the doors were open she was there. 

I was beyond impressed with Danae. She didn't have the most stable circumstances, but you would never have known it. She would always ask how you were doing and she really wanted to know. She would listen and take everything to heart. She would laugh at my "the glass is half-empty" humor and remind me to see the positive in everything. I remember how we had to convert her when it came to hugging. She wasn't a fan. Danae was one of the first people I told when I found out I was pregnant with Destiny. I called her and told her she was going to be an aunt. When Desi was born, it was the first time I ever say her cry. When I had my miscarriage, she would text me everyday knowing I didn't feel like talking, but to reassure me that she was there for me. She was one of the first to know when I was pregnant with Emery. She wanted to be a missionary overseas. She wanted to go to Pine Castle Christian Academy. She wanted to have twin boys and believed that God was going to heal her from her diabetes so her dreams could become realities.

When Danae was a freshman in high school, J and I lived in a tiny apartment 2 minutes from the school. Danae would walk over and hang out with me til I would drive her home after dinner. Somedays, she would be there waiting for me when I got home from work. She knew where the key was and she would let herself in. I would open the door and she would be sitting on the couch doing her homework. Danae was wise beyond her years and never played the victim. There were times when I would have to tell her what she didn't want to hear and she would have to do the same for me. We would talk about all kinds of things and even though I was the "grown up", I would leave our conversations feeling like I was the one who learned something.  

When you look at Danae, you are instantly struck by her beauty. Her father is from Trinidad and she inherited the dark skin, hair and eyes. We used to always tell her she could be on America's Next Top Model, but she always insisted she was too short. Ironically, Danae's favorite person in the bible is Queen Esther. I have always found that to be fitting since she is who I would picture Queen Esther to look like. But, not only is Danae a striking beauty on the outside, her heart is what makes her a beautiful person all the way around.  Like Esther, Danae is brave and full of faith. If she feels like God is leading her to go somewhere, she goes. I've seen her pray for something and literally have it come to pass the next day. She believes and serves and hopes for the best in all that she does. She's had to learn some hard life lessons, but no matter what kind of outcome, her heart remains faithful.

These days, Danae is an oncology nurse at one of our local hospitals. I was there when she graduated from Pine Castle Christian Academy. She still wants to be a missionary and as for the twin boys...well, only God knows. :) She still believes for her healing everyday and inspires others to do the same. She wears a star around her neck and signs her name with a tiny star since she adopted the star as a kind of trademark. Why? 
The name "Esther" means "star". 

I am so blessed to have her in my life, so to my DNA, I say thank you.

Thank you for the pep talks, the Frosty's, the notes, and the insights. I used to call you "my firstborn" and to some extent, I will always feel that way. Just like Des kept checking to make sure I was behind her as she walked ahead, I hope you see me behind you when you look back. Thank you for loving me despite my shortcomings and trusting me on those days you needed me to be honest. Our busy lives keep us from seeing as much of each other as we would like, but never doubt how much I cherish you. Queen Esther had no idea that God had destined her to do great things, so always remember that you too were born for "such a time as this".  I love you, D!

P.S. Pancakes and biscuits soon? :)









1 comment: