"Friends are relatives you make for yourself."
~Eustache Deschamps
Mothers. That word can invoke a rainbow of emotions depending on your own personal experiences. But, for me, when i think of "mothers" I not only think of my biological, but also many others who have shared their lives with me. The majority of the friends I have told you about also had wonderful mothers who I still adore; Michele, Carol, Diana, and of course my mom-in-law, Janet. But, this post is dedicated to the 7th friend on my Limp Along List, my Mom D, Diane.
When we moved from Waco to Orlando in 1996, our church was meeting in the downtown Radisson Hotel. I barely remember that first official Sunday, but I will never forget meeting Diane. She had AT LEAST 6 children (all different ages) sitting with her and quite possibly a baby in a carrier? Come to find out, her and her husband were foster parents and she only had 1 biological daughter of her own, Kelly. At our first meeting, she was sweet and funny and I could automatically sense how big her heart was. I had no idea that we would one day forge a very close relationship.
Diane is 34 years older than me. Yep, you read right. She has had a lot of unfortunate circumstances throughout her life. Oh the stories I could tell you, but I won't. She wouldn't want me to. Let's just say she has a Ph.D from the University of Adversity. But, I will tell you that she is the ultimate mother. Anyone who welcomes approximately 200 children into their home and loves each one like they are her own, deserves the title of Ultimate Mother. Being a foster parent is a true calling and (depending on what day you ask her) Mom D wouldn't have had it any other way. :) They ended up adopting 6 of the children who were brought to their home through the years; Patricia, Rachel, Judy, Sara, Melody and Dakota.
Diane and her best friend, Carole, invited me to Cracker Barrel one evening. I was 22 and newly married. These 2 ladies had watched me go through life since I was 15, mostly from the sidelines. I was happy to accept their invitation.
Cracker Barrel has always been one of my favorites since I am all about Southern cooking. Furthermore, after growing up in Texas where "Chicken Fried Steak" is on every menu regardless of the type of restaurant you happen to be in, Cracker Barrel is the only place I have found where I can get my beloved fried steak (with WHITE gravy) here in Florida. I learned that you have to call it "country fried steak" though, otherwise they look at you kinda crazy if you ask for "chicken fried steak". Ah, just another thing to miss about Texas. :)
Moving on...
That one evening turned into once-a-month outings and countless conversations in rocking chairs. We talked about husbands and kids, work and church, happy things and sad things. We laughed so hard. They would patiently listen to me and offer advice. Then Carole moved away to take care of family. I still have a hard time with that and she knows it. But, Mom D and I vowed to keep our Cracker Barrel meetings. After all, we had become friends.
Since our Cracker Barrel beginning, Diane and I have traveled through the valleys and mountaintops with each other. I have wished many times that I could give her some magical words to ease the pain. She has tried to convince me on more than one occasion to not take things so seriously. We laugh through our tears and never feel uncomfortable about any of it. We confess when our faith is low and we rejoice when the clouds have parted for a spell. We sit for hours discussing what it might be God is trying to teach us. We send quick texts to say how ridiculous life is that day or how glorious we are feeling about nothing in particular. Mom D's laugh is contagious and her insight is priceless. She watches me be a mom, a wife, a daughter, a sister, and a friend. She worries about all the hats I wear and tells me that I need to say no more often. She knows exactly when to show up with chocolate and when I need to be reminded of the most important things.
Like I said, she is the Ultimate Mother.
So, to my Mom D, I say thank you.
Thank you for the stories, the iced tea, the books and the rocking chair lessons. Thank you for not seeing me as a typical preacher's kid, but as a young woman who was worth getting to know. I could never repay you for the lunches or the endless encouragement. I have faith that all the things we pray for will eventually come to pass and that we will celebrate the abundance that is surely on its way. I don't know how 2 gals with so many years between them become buds, but it works and I sure am grateful! I love you!

Why the face? LOL!!! Love you both!!
ReplyDelete