"Say, say my playmate
Come out and play with me
And bring your dollies three
Climb up my apple tree
Slide down my rain barrel
Into my cellar door
And we'll be jolly friends forevermore!"
As I was driving to pick up Desi from school today I witnessed one of the sweetest things I have ever seen. Sitting at a stoplight, I glanced to my right and 3 young girls were making their way home from school. One of the girls had an injured leg and was doing her best to manuver the sidewalk with her crutches. Her 2 friends told her to stop. One friend took her backpack and crutches, while the other one gave her a piggy-back ride. All of this happened in the time it takes a light to go from red to green, but I was suddenly reminded of those people in my life who help me limp along.
Therefore, I have decided to blog about them :)
Forgive me if over the next few posts I become like a broken record, but I feel that I have been tremendously blessed with a handful of friends who deserve all the praise I can possibly bestow on them.
I see it only fitting to begin with my very first friend, Jenni Marie Cameron.
Jenni has been in my life for as long as I can remember. We were in the church nursery together, shared every birthday together, got in trouble together, spent ALOT of time together. When I was 6, we moved away. Jenni and I would call each other on the phone and play Amy Grant's "Stay For Awhile". We would cry and promise to write. Our parents were best friends and thankfully, we only moved 2 hours south. But, leaving my best friend was extremely traumatic. We went back to Rockwall every chance we got. We went on family vacations together and Jenni even came to spend a week with me almost every summer. We roomed together at ROCK Conference during our teen years and made some great memories.
Jenni was born a grown-up. She loved to be in charge and boss everyone around. I was no exception. We are both the oldest of 4. I guess that comes with the territory. When we were little, I was quite afraid of Jenni on more than one occasion. She vowed to give me a "knuckle sandwich" several times and even pulled my hair when I did something that wasn't to her liking. As we grew up, Jenni never hesitated to tell me when I was being stupid or that I needed to snap out of it. I can still see her face when I told her I was dating a guy several years older than me (I was 18 at the time) who was a little to familiar with the ways of the world. A few months later, I received a letter from her letting me know how she felt about the whole thing. She was brutally honest and she was so right. After her dad passed away unexpectadly, her whole family came to Florida to spend Spring Break with us. Jenni went with me on my very first "clubbing" adventure that week. That is one memory I would like to erase. :)
Jenni was the first person I thought of when I got engaged. I knew I wanted her to be my Maid of Honor. Jenni was the first person I called when I thought I might possibly be pregnant for the first time. She was the first person I called when the 3 pregnancy test I took came out with barely-there pink lines. She wisely suggested I get one with words. :) She sent boxes of clothes for Destiny before she was even born and sent me pictures of her baby girl, Mackelvey every chance she got. She knows how flighty I can be and about every ridiculous family issue we might be having. Everytime we talk it's like no time has gone by and we pick up right where we left off.
I don't think anyone in the world can make me laugh like she can...
So, to my first playmate, I say thank you.
Thanks for being a constant in my life. Thanks for sharing your wisdom, your opinions, your hand-me-downs, your stories and your humor with me. I know I stink at communication, but please know you are ALWAYS in my thoughts. I would have given anything to be with you during all of your losses and gains. I consider you my oldest and most treasured friend. I miss you everyday. Maybe one day I'll get home to Texas, but in the meantime never forget that "we'll be jolly friends forevermore".
I love you, Playmate!
"Stay for awhile, it's good to see your smile and I love your company.
Stay for awhile and remember the days gone by.
For a moment it can seem just the way it used to be."
Left to right: My brother, Josh, me, Jenni, and Jenni's sister, Katie
at Six Flags in 1987
Spring Break 1999
June 6, 2003
Texas trip 2004




It's always such a blessing for me to read your sweet blogs. Friends are a treasure, for sure!
ReplyDelete