"The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart." ~Elisabeth Foley
Earlier in the week, I ventured to the Hallmark store to get some cards for Valentine's Day. In case you didn't know, I worked in a Hallmark store from the time I was 18 until I had Desi (I was 25). Therefore, I buy Hallmark cards 99% of the time...unless I am in a SUPER hurry and have to settle for those other brands. :-p I know it's ridiculous, but I feel as if I am being disloyal in some way...
I ran across a card that brought back so many memories from my working days. The card is a cut out of a wheelbarrow filled with blue violet flowers. It's been in the Hallmark system since the company started 100 years ago. On the back of the card it explains that the blue violet stands for "faithfulness". I've also heard that it represents "watchfulness". Either way, the card got me thinking about the next friend on my Limp Along List, Inez.
Inez, Nezzie (as my mom calls her), Chewy, Ineequa...she goes by many endearments, but to me she is just Nez. Nez is almost 6 years older than me. My first memory of Nez was at a church function involving swimming...I think we were at the Sarver's house. Her mom was my dad's secretary and her parents were Care Group leaders. Obviously, we were at church every time the doors were open. I have no idea how we became so close with such an age difference, but God knew I was going to need her in my life. She bought me my first real pair of jeans-Express jeans. She left them in a box on the front pew one Wednesday night. She encouraged me to sing in front of people for the first time at church. The song was "Jesus Will Still Be There" by Point of Grace. She got her driver's license, a job at Eckerd's in the mall, and her first boyfriend.
I was just becoming a teenager and wanted to be just like her.
I was just becoming a teenager and wanted to be just like her.
During every phase of mine, every crush, every heartbreak, every wrong turn, every new song, Nez has been faithful to our friendship. She became a mentor without knowing it and never made me feel like a stupid kid. We had sleepovers and many rides in her blue Ford Escort we nicknamed, Blue Burrito. Sitting here thinking back, I see all of it like it happened yesterday. I see the note she gave me with my favorite verse, Hebrews 11:1. I see the the DC Talk posters, Joe the Crow, Aladdin, and countless trips to the HEB. When we moved to Orlando, she wrote me letters all the time, kept me informed on what was happening back home and never stopped encouraging me.
I was going to be a big-time singer. Nez was going to be my manager/lawyer. We were going to marry brothers and live in San Antonio. We had it all planned out. But, obviously, none of that came to pass. The night before her wedding, I handed her a journal of all the memories we had made up until then and we both tried not to cry. I made fun of her for moving to Kansas and couldn't wait for ROCK Conference every year so I could see my friend. Eric and Nez came to visit us when I was 20 years old and right away she knew I was in a bad place. All she said was, "You're not happy" and she was right. Because of that one sentence, I made a life changing decision and never looked back.
These days, we only see each other maybe once a year and our lives are consumed with everyday responsibilities. The cool thing is that our kids will grow up being friends and one day we will go on family vacations. I wish, just like with all my far away friends, that we lived closer and were able to spend more time together. But, for now, I say thank you.
Thank you for being a faithful and watchful friend. If I had a blue violet for every time you helped me limp along, you would have a pretty amazing collection. Thanks for the scriptures, the late night talks, the advice and the patience. Because of you, I have a big heart for young girls and I hope that I have made a difference in them like you made in me. Thanks for loving my family and sharing the vision. Some days I want to go back to riding in the Blue Burrito, but everyday I feel blessed to have shared those moments with you.
I love you!
p.s. I still love Express jeans :)
I love you!
p.s. I still love Express jeans :)
Spring Break 1997
ROCK Conference 1999




No comments:
Post a Comment