"A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails."
~Donna Roberts
Normally, the title of "biggest fan" is usually reserved for a parent, a grandparent or maybe even a child. But, in this case, I'm referring to the fourth friend on my Limp Along List, Heather a.k.a Feth.
I first met Feth on a Sunday morning when our mutual friend, Lindsay, brought her to church. She was barely in high school and had a mouth full of braces. After that one Sunday, she decided that our church was the place for her and attended faithfully, with or without Lindsay. Her parents would drop her off at Home Group every Wednesday night and if they couldn't she would always find a way to get there. Without going into detail, let's just say at that point in my life I had had enough bad experiences with so-called friends that I was a little leary of anyone new. But, I figured if this little girl was determined to be a faithful church member then just maybe she would prove to be a faithful friend. I was right.
On the outside, Feth and I didn't seem to have much in common. She was younger than me, played in the school band and was an only child. I was about to graduate high school, homeschooled, and the oldest of four. Turns out we thought alot alike. I never worried about her judgement or her ability to stand up for what she believed in. I would tell her my outrageous (but true) stories and she would listen. She totally got where I was coming from and genuinely liked to spend time with me. She always ordered a chicken sandwich when we would go out and she always wore flip-flops. The best is when she would laugh so hard it would become silent and her nostrils would flare. Ah, I miss that.
I've been singing publicly since I was 14. I will now make a confession: It's my favorite thing to do and my least favorite thing to do all at the same time. Favorite because it's my passion, least favorite because I HATE ATTENTION. I've always been shy and unwilling to put myself in front of people. Unfortunately, I was put into a family who doesn't allow shyness, therefore when the time came, I was put out there. I've been told that I'm good at it but that doesn't matter to me as much as the blessing people seem to get out of it. What does this have to do with anything?
Feth joined the worship team and we stood next to each other for many Sunday's. She would play her flute and I would sing and when we finished she would hug me and say, " You're my favorite singer." On her last Sunday before she left for college, I sang the song she always loved and she cried. She told me the only thing she wanted for graduation was a cd of me singing. When Feth got engaged, she asked me to sing at her wedding. Well, all of my friends have said they love to hear me sing, but Feth was different...it's like she felt my heart through the music and always made me feel like she was right there behind me. Knowing how much I hated being "put out there", she reassured me that what I had been given was a gift and she cried almost everytime I stepped up to a microphone. If I had "fans", I'm pretty sure she would be the biggest. :)
Feth joined the worship team and we stood next to each other for many Sunday's. She would play her flute and I would sing and when we finished she would hug me and say, " You're my favorite singer." On her last Sunday before she left for college, I sang the song she always loved and she cried. She told me the only thing she wanted for graduation was a cd of me singing. When Feth got engaged, she asked me to sing at her wedding. Well, all of my friends have said they love to hear me sing, but Feth was different...it's like she felt my heart through the music and always made me feel like she was right there behind me. Knowing how much I hated being "put out there", she reassured me that what I had been given was a gift and she cried almost everytime I stepped up to a microphone. If I had "fans", I'm pretty sure she would be the biggest. :)
Feth got her braces off, went to college, then to AmeriCorps. We would see each other whenever she came home to visit. She lives in Kentucky with her hubby now and I miss her. But, for all the miles, I still hold her near to my heart. So, to my Feth, I say thank you.
Thanks for listening, for the hugs and the Moulin Rouge sing-alongs. Thanks for making me feel like I was truly being used by God even if I forgot the words or missed a note. I miss sharing in worship with you. Everytime I listen to Crystal Lewis, I still think of you. :) I have marveled at the woman you've become. You never walked away even after others did. You are beautiful and oh so special to me. Next time we meet, I'm sure I'll have some new stories for you. ;) I love you!
P.S. "That's it! I'm leaving the church!"



No comments:
Post a Comment