"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139:13-16
About a month ago, some friends and I started a bible study. We gather every other week to discuss and then end up sharing personal experiences that end up meaning more than the book discussion. :-) I sit there and listen as they tell their stories and give me more and more insight into who they are. Recently, one of the ladies opened up about her life, her growing up, her family...or lack there of. I sat in amazement at what I was hearing. Then, she told how her mother had planned to abort her, but when she got to the clinic, the doors were locked. I've heard stories like hers before, but this time, something was different. I understood how much courage she had to have to sit and tell 3 other women (2 being almost strangers) about her struggles, her insecurities, her hope and her determination. Another one of my friends started talking about how she had a similar story. She was "supposed" to be aborted, too. Instead, she was adopted. She always says her adopted mother should have never been a mother, so you can imagine what her life was like growing up. Needless to say, I had goosebumps on my arms
and tears in my eyes.
I realized...
here I was sitting at a table with 2 (maybe 3) amazing women who could very easily not even exist.
We all know Whitney Houston died a few weeks ago. I would be lying if I said I was surprised by the news...more saddened than surprised. I remember being 6 years old in 1986 and hearing her sing for the first time. My friend, Jenni, whom I have spoken of many times in this blog, had a poster of Whitney on her wall. It was at her house that I heard what would become one of my favorite Whitney Houston songs. Jenni's mom took the record out of the sleeve (I can still see the cover) and "So Emotional" began blaring on the stereo. She danced around, lip-synching and throwing her hair back and forth. I barely remember my dad singing along with it too...apparently he was quite hilarious. Jenni remembers it better than I do. Probably because, even at the age of 6, I was enthralled with her voice. All that to say, she became and will always be, one of my favorite singers.
and tears in my eyes.
I realized...
here I was sitting at a table with 2 (maybe 3) amazing women who could very easily not even exist.
We all know Whitney Houston died a few weeks ago. I would be lying if I said I was surprised by the news...more saddened than surprised. I remember being 6 years old in 1986 and hearing her sing for the first time. My friend, Jenni, whom I have spoken of many times in this blog, had a poster of Whitney on her wall. It was at her house that I heard what would become one of my favorite Whitney Houston songs. Jenni's mom took the record out of the sleeve (I can still see the cover) and "So Emotional" began blaring on the stereo. She danced around, lip-synching and throwing her hair back and forth. I barely remember my dad singing along with it too...apparently he was quite hilarious. Jenni remembers it better than I do. Probably because, even at the age of 6, I was enthralled with her voice. All that to say, she became and will always be, one of my favorite singers.
There will NEVER be another Whitney Houston.
That said, I believe every single person walking this earth is here for a reason. Every child I lay eyes on reminds me of possibility and hope. Every teenager I come across reminds me of potential and promise. No one else was created to do what you and I were created to do. The people who surround you, the children entrusted to your care, the lady you hold the door for or the man you give spare change to...they are the one and only. Just like there will never be another Whitney Houston, those 3 ladies I sit with every other week will never be duplicated. So, next time you hear the phrase "one and only" accompanied by the name of someone "famous", please remember...
You and I are one and only(s), too.
No comments:
Post a Comment