I regret to inform you that the time has come. You can no longer put off the inevitable. You must prove that you are capable of handling this. It is time to accept the truth, as ugly as it may seem: your baby is no longer a baby.
I know, I know. The words are painful. Think how I feel typing them out and then re-reading them. It cuts to the core. Seems like only yesterday she arrived looking like a tiny Indian. Remember how small she was and how much her feet looked like J's?
Remember how pretty she was and how she hardly ever cried?
Me too.
She has been exactly what she was created to be-a blessing. Can you remember life before she came along? Me either. Life with 2 has been so much easier than life was with just 1. How is that possible? Maybe it's because Emery has been easy. She sleeps. She has slept so well compared to Big Sis. It also doesn't hurt that she has Daddy's laid back personality. So, does that mean that Big Sis takes after Mommy? Hmmm...
Do you remember what life was like when she arrived 4 weeks early? I think there was $17 in the checking account and we were minus a car seat to take her home in. Oh what a year 2010 was. The meaning of her name seems oh-so-appropriate every time she bumps her head or falls down. She hardly makes a peep and tries again. Diligence is ever present in her. Let's hope we don't ever do anything to squash that. I feared that when the time came for her to be born, she would hop out and run away after the stress she had experienced and listened to for 36 weeks. But, just like her Daddy, she seems to be able to roll with it. Good thing since this fam is always rolling with something.
I am amazed at how smart she already is, aren't you? And how good of a listener she seems to be. She hates getting into trouble and loves giving affection. She picks up on new things very quickly. Most of the time you only have to show her or tell her something once, and she gets it. She hates milk (another Daddy trait) and is fascinated with the bathroom. She loves playing in the fridge and very much dislikes having her picture taken.
She isn't too fond of sweets, but loves lettuce and anything with tomato sauce. She is opposite of her Big Sis in almost every way, but worships the ground she walks on. She lights up when she sees her Daddy and knows exactly where she is when we pull up to his office.
Just because she is no longer a "baby in arms" doesn't mean she stops being your baby.
I mean, look at Big Sis. She's 5 going on 15, but she still loves to snuggle with her Mommy. Yeah, I know, the day will come when they can't stand you and want you to leave them alone, but you have to remember that it will pass so quickly...just like the first year and all the ones to follow. Then, they will come running back and groveling at your feet when they realize with terror that life is hard and they need their Mom again. So, it's time to snap out of it! No more sadness. We have to get ready for year #2. And no worries. She may be oh-so-mobile these days and full of new found independence, but she will forever be your baby girl.
Sincerely,
Me
Emery Alison,
You will never know all the ways I love you. You have been the brightest light in the darkest hour. Never stop being diligent and never stop giving hugs. We thank God for you everyday and watch in amazement as He orders our family's steps. You were a big surprise and you have been an even bigger blessing. We adore you and love you with all our hearts.
Happy 1st birthday, Little One.

What?! Where have I been? She is already one?!?!?!
ReplyDeleteOMgoodness it is time for auntie amy to visit!