Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Tiny Dancer

"In life as in dance: Grace glides on blistered feet."
~Alice Abrams 

There's something about watching a little girl dance. Such joy in her every move. She is confident in her beauty and finds so much pleasure in making a dress twirl. My oldest daughter dreams of being a ballerina and I have known many girls who have spent their lives pursuing that same dream.
 Lately, I've been thinking about the special dancers in my life...

Tiny Dancer,
Small studios and big stages. Pretty costumes and pretty music. Wanting it to be over with and never wanting it to end. I could have watched you dance forever. I was proud of you for wanting to be different and choosing a different way. I was sure that you would persevere. I saw you reaching many, helping many, teaching many. Lord knows you have never been lacking in words. :) 
I know you didn't want it to turn out this way. You probably thought you would be right back. You never gave yourself enough credit. You always sold yourself short. 
You said you would never leave. 
You made me believe that you would be the one to stay. 
You were right there beside me. Where did you go? 

Tiny Dancer,
You wake up in a strange new world everyday. You feel like your life has turned into someone else's story.  Up until now you've only heard people talk about those moments that change you forever. Now you understand them fully. So far, you have proven that a trembling heart can be the strongest heart of all. You have found hope when all seems hopeless. I am so proud of you. I don't know how many times a day you fall down and get back up. I could never pretend to know all that your heart goes through. But keep facing your fears, one by one. Touch them and let them go.
 This is your beginning. Promise me you will keep dancing. 
Promise me that you will dance when you need relief...peace...freedom. 
Promise me. 

Tiny Dancer,
It would take me a lifetime to tell you how much I adore you. You taught me about love. You gave me new eyes. I hope with all that is within me you never stop dancing. 
You are the most beautiful ballerina princess I have ever known and whether you like it or not, I will keep cheering you on and watching over you.

Psalm 149:3




No comments:

Post a Comment