Thursday, November 7, 2013

My Buddy and Me

It's been almost a year since my last post. I have been inspired to write on many occasions, but time is not on my side these days. I will not sit here and recount my insane life to you (you're welcome). However, I found myself recounting a lot of things today and felt the need to express it in writing (or typing). It will probably only mean something to a select few, but who cares. Even if it only blesses one heart, then I've done my job. 

To my buddy, Elijah:

8:30 a.m. on some week day in February, 2008, your Mommy sped into my driveway and jumped out of her Jeep Cherokee with a gigantic smile on her face. I knew right away what she was about to tell me. It was her ultimate dream come true.

September, 2008, I met your Mommy at Smokey Bones for lunch one day. She wanted to ask me if I would take care of you during the day while she had to be at work. I've never told her this before, but I was super scared to say yes. I mean, let's face it, I only had 1 child up until that point and had made plenty of mistakes in her (then) 2 1/2 years of life. It didn't matter to your Mommy though...she trusted me...and that was something special. So, I said yes. Then, we ate some french fries.

12:00 p.m. on November 6, 2008, your Mommy called asking if I could go by her house and get her purse. She had been to the doctor and they were sending her to the hospital because it was time for you to be born. That was the last time I would talk to your Mommy until you were here. I was on my way to meet Danae and Jenny for lunch and I had Desi with me. I called Danae and asked her to meet me somewhere (can't remember exactly where) so that I could get her the purse to take to your Mommy at the hospital. We got the purse there. OH! and your Daddy was super nervous.

2:23 a.m. on November 7, 2008, you made your grand entrance. Your parents were tired, but so excited. I was at home, sleeping off and on, checking my phone every time I woke up to see if I had any news about you. It was a long night.

9:00 a.m. on November 7, 2008, your Mommy called me sounding beyond exhausted. She told me that you were here and how you arrived and how much you weighed. It was a happy day.

8:00 a.m. on February 12, 2009, Desi and I arrived at your house for our first day on the job. You were sleeping in your swing. Your Mommy was doing her best to put on a brave face, but she was very sad to be leaving you. I gave her a hug and told her that you would be fine. She was going to miss you, but we finally got her out the door. She checked in often on the phone and came home to see you at lunch. By the time Desi and I left that evening, I had a pretty good reminder of life with a newborn.
We. were. pooped.

For the next 19 months, we spent almost every day together. At first, you wanted to always be held. You liked the sound of running water and the colors on The Weather Channel. You started coming to my house during the day and we watched a lot of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. You loved to play with Desi and walk around outside. We spent time eating watermelon at Nannie's house and running errands. Sometimes we would go to the library and you would always run away from me. I think that's why we only went sometimes. Yeah, we had some days that were not so fun. I remember a day when I had to put you in Time Out 3 times and you tried to make yourself throw up so that you wouldn't have to sit there. It didn't work. Sorry, Im kinda unsympathetic like that. OH! and every Friday when I would drop you off with your Daddy, I would tell you to poop for him. He didn't appreciate that too much. Oh well, it was our "thing". When the day came that your Mommy was able to stay home with you, we had made a ton of memories.

 


A long time before God sent you to your Mommy, she had been talking to Him everyday. She asked Him to send you because she couldn't wait any longer to meet you. She knew you would be a boy and that your name would be Elijah. I have never forgotten the joy that she lived in those 9 months preparing for you. You have been her constant happiness since then. No, I don't know what it's like to have a little boy...not yet anyway. But, because of you, and your Mommy's trust, I do know what it's like to have an "almost" son. I am always here when you want to tell me about Star Wars, Angry Birds, or Club Penguin. Or Madagascar. Or Ninja Turtles. Or if you want to read Splat the Cat. I'm a huge Splat fan. 

Five years of hilarious conversations and countless cups of Cheez-its...you and me...we go back a long way, kid.

Happy 5th birthday, buddy!

Love,
Aunt Shelbie

No comments:

Post a Comment